December 8, 2015

New Welcome Screen in Photoshop CC

Well it’s time for another CC update.  Last week Adobe released their newest updates for the Creative Cloud suite (Dec.1st, 2015) which includes my personal favorite, Photoshop CC.

After you open the Creative Cloud dialog box, some of you won’t see the updates under the Apps, but fortunately you can force it to update for you. To do this, click on the gear icon up in the top right corner and choose “Check for App Updates.”  Adobe will then add the updates to your Apps panel where you can update them. 

From what I’ve been reading, there are a lot of great new features and Adobe has added some speed improvements as well.

When you open Photoshop the first thing you’ll notice is the new Welcome Screen. I guess some people might like these, you decide for yourself. One of the features here are the previews of images that you’ve recently opened. After you’ve installed the update and opened and closed some images, you’ll see them on this screen.  To see the thumbnails instead of a list, click on the little icon to change it from list view.    

You can also browse your libraries or create a new document from presets, and I can see where these things could be useful also. I really don’t have any libraries so this screen is empty for me. The last screen is for presets.

I’m not a big fan of these new screens myself.  I did check them out, but I’m old school and I think these things are aimed more at designers. Unless you turn them off you’ll see them every time you open Photoshop or whenever you close all your documents. Actually it’s simple to turn these off. Don’t worry, you can always have it open again if you’d like. 

After you open Photoshop, go under the Edit menu and scroll down to Preferences, and choose General. Then under Options you’ll see a check box called “Show Start Workspace When No Documents Are Open”.  Uncheck that and restart Photoshop to make your changes.  If you decide you like those screens, just go back in and check it again.  Easy enough right? 

Like I mentioned, there are a number of changes to this version that you might really enjoy, such as the customizable tool bar option, sort of like Configurator.  I still like my Configurator Panels and have a full version of CS6 on my desktop machine so I can use mine. 
 


Maybe when I get a little more familiar with the changes I’ll do another post…….you never know? I hope you enjoy this post.

Like always, keep shooting and have some fun!
 
© D. Gould Photography